The apple, cheese and lemon zest combine to give this slaw/salad such a nice, crisp tart flavor that you won't realize there's no vinegar or acid in the dressing.
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 apples, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 head of green cabbage, thinly chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese or Parmesan (substitute a younger cheese if your bladder can't tolerate Parmesan).
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- chopped, roasted nuts (toasted almonds or other IC friendly nut)
Preparing the Fennel Bulbs: Remove fennel tops and reserve green, feathery fronds. Trim root ends; halve, core and thinly slice fennel bulbs, using a mandoline or very sharp knife. Chop 1 tablespoon fronds and set aside for garnish.
In a large bowl, combine sliced fennel bulbs, apples, cabbage, cheese, olive oil, parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper; toss gently.